Wednesday, July 11, 2012

Musings; A Church like never before


In your entire life, only a few people will impact you such that you may never recover from that experience. I remember while in school as a sophomore, I just got the room all to myself in Ijebu Ode, my elder brother had just graduated from the university, so it was just me and I was still in the euphoria of what it’ll feel like to be leaving all alone. I started getting an unlikely visit from a fellow housemate who lived upstairs; she never entered my room even though back then, I would have liked her to. She comes for only one reason, she wanted to befriend me and eventually invite me to church. I was not interested in the preposition for several reasons, among which was the fact that she wears an awkwardly long skirt to church (I never told her that it was the reason why I was stalling though), strangely she never backed down and even gave me an invite, a card that I cherished for no good reason at all. So one Sunday morning, I couldn’t escape her, she had pre informed me the previous evening that whether I liked it or not that we would be attending church together by the following day. So I went with her to SPIRIT OF LIFE, CHURCH and OMG, it was amazing, I’m not talking about the sermon or the choir, it was as if my dream came alive before me. Don’t get me wrong, I was born in a church, been a chorister almost the whole of my life, I had never seen a church with such an excellent ambiance, more so, it had to be situated in a city that I labelled the wackest town in the country (ijebu ode). I wanted to go back there as soon as I could, but I formed as if I wasn’t so impressed when Taiwo asked me if I enjoyed the service. However, due to reasons beyond me, I was never able to go back there as soon as I would have wanted to, but eventually I did, and I made SPIRIT OF LIFE, CHURCH my home church. I still haven’t explained what caught my fancy about the church, you see before that day, I had a very terrible opinion of Christianity, but at SOL, everything, whether good or bad, just seem to be in synchrony. Nothing or no one seem out of place, everybody was worshipping God without the unnecessary distraction of the egotistical ushers or the chorister that cant really sing but always want to terrorise the congregation with his/her frog voice. There was no drama visible to the eyes of a visitor, the brilliant thing about it all was certainly the fact that nobody felt they were better than others, every body seemed to be accommodating and open to corrections. So I didn’t need an invite to come back, I wanted to.

No comments: